Do YOU. Just DO YOU.

Today. I finally accepted something. I’m a teacher. I think a pretty good one at that and I realize what type of Teacher I am (thus far). I can do my lesson plans all day. Plan an activity for each skill and just have it ready. But what I love the most about myself as a teacher, my best ideas come from reflecting on my day at night and trying to approach the next day meeting my students where they are! I use to daydream about all the teachers I see that got it all together and their lesson plans smells like roses! Literally! I use to try and sit down and create activities while I’m lesson planning and I just don’t find myself very motivated. So here are a few tips that I tell myself to keep me pushing and not get caught up in the really cool activities :

1. Do what works for you 
⁃ You are probably wondering well duh, but let’s be realistic. We find ourselves being caught up in seeing all the wonderful activities teachers make or receiving all these great resources and you get off track of what works for you. Stick to your style of teaching. 
Image result for just do you meme
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/bf/4c/99/bf4c99747cec8bab498ba89a3ec2c1b7--kevin-hart-comedy-comedy-show.jpg

2. Know your kids
It’s so easy to want to try to introduce new activities to your students but know what will
Work for your students. For example, I can’t just give my students task cards and group them and let them work away on a recording sheet. I spent last night trying to think outside the box and I came across a blog by Rachel Lynette and she had these great game boards! And booooom I know my kids and I knew they would enjoy it and they did! Gave an exit slip so that it wouldn’t be in vain. Don’t want to give a fun activity and the FLOP. Then that means It was only fun.

3. RELAX
Just chill and relax. I just learned this. Find anything that makes you happy and do just that! 


I work my best in the moment of planning the night before and it works for me. I work my best when i have to get to work extra early to make sure the activity is set. It is okay to not have it all together. I just felt the need to say that because I feel Like somebody needs to hear this. So let me show you what I did that came out to be soooo great today! My students are working on Integer Operations and I decided to put together some task cards and a game board to get this activity going and it WORKED! 

People post their good and if you are not careful you will think that everything is so perfect, but just know that everybody encounter a few downfalls! It's social media. You put what want out there because it's your life! So I wanted to be the one to inspire you and say I don't have it all together and it's not the end of the world if you don't. I'm just a Math Teacher out here reaching my youth one day at time and trying to put the pieces together.  REPEAT after ME: I am great. I will be great. I can produce greatness! 

This is just a short blog but I really felt the need to write it because someone may need it. Please feel free to leave comments below. 

:) iiteachmath checking out!  

Comments